Receive email updates
Welcome

Sow The Seed follows the ups and downs of me, Helen and my husband, Simon - a couple trying to live a simpler life in south-west Wales.

I hope this blog will not only be a good reference and diary for us over the coming years, but will give helpful advice and tips for people trying to do the same thing, or dreaming of doing the same thing.

Find out more on how we got here.

What’s Happening Today

Tasks: Sowing; pruning; weeding; pottering

Harvesting: Cucumber, lettuce, radishes, strawberries, broad beans, potatoes

Eggs this year: 394 (hens) 317 (ducks)

Categories
Archives

Rabbit proof(?) fence

It seems we may finally be coming out of the long, wet and cold winter, and spring is on its way. The rabbits certainly must think spring is in the air, as the rabbits are doing what they do best, and breeding like rabbits. Our rabbit problem is progressively getting worse, and while one or two in the fields can be tolerated, when they start to cause havoc in the garden, particularly the veg garden then it’s war!

When I checked on a row of parsnips and carrots I’d sown a few weeks ago, which I had been protecting from the cold with some fleece, I found a number of rabbit holes and tunnels underneath, soil everywhere, and most disheartening the rows of seedlings tossed around. I had found a similar situation a week before with the potatoes I had planted out, again under fleece for protection, but that wasn’t quite so bad as the potatoes can be fairly easily be replanted, but germinated seedlings will have to be resown.

Rabbit destruction

On seeing my frustration, Simon set out on Saturday morning to construct a rabbit (proof?) fence around the veg garden. We had a number of fence posts and a small roll of chicken wire already, so we’ve utilised what we have available. The fence doesn’t need to be particularly high (we hope we don’t have jumping rabbits), but the important thing is to make a skirt around the fence so the rabbits can’t easily burrow underneath. We also need to get in and out of the veg garden, so we need it a height we can easily get over. We managed to get three sides done, including using the duck’s electric fence as one side, and part of the polytunnel as another side. We didn’t have quite enough materials to go the full way round, but it’s a start. The rabbits are still getting in, so we will definitely need to close off every side before I can start sowing again.

This weekend also saw the loss of our first duck (other than Mr Duck, who flew the nest of his own accord). We’ve had them now for nearly 4 years, so they haven’t done too badly, but one of them could no longer walk. She was in a sorry state, pulling herself along with her wing. So we decided it was better to put her out of her misery than let her suffer any longer. So Simon did the deed, and we’re now down to two ducks. We would like to get some more poultry, probably just chickens, but while the avian flu lockdown is going on, nowhere seems to be selling young laying hens. Hopefully when the lockdown is lifted there will be some available, so we can boost our number again.

We’re both looking forward to some nice spring weather, and getting on with the year pest and trouble free… wishful thinking perhaps!

Three ducks in happier times

Leave a Reply

Modified version of the Summer Polaroid Pics template